28 May 2012

I HATE the media...

This one is not funny.
Not even a little bit funny.
Krissy is pissed.

I read the following article today... on Memorial Day of all days.

The title didn't piss me off. The subtitle that reads "Weak economy may play a role" in the print issue of today's Times instantly made me reconsider my viewpoint on headkicking. The author goes on to compare the percentage of veterans that are filing claims from OIF/OEF to the percentage of vets filing claims from the Vietnam War. She also says that "government officials and some veterans' advocates believe the weak economy is prompting some claims".
Really?
The implication that veterans are seeking compensation simply because they can't find a job is moronic at best and dangerous at worst.

First of all, we are going to skip over the statistics for military members that lost limbs and sight and hearing. Obviously  there is higher rate of vets seeking benefits for these injuries because modern medicine has been able to save service members that would have been killed in previous wars.

Part of the article mentions that veterans are claiming an average of eight to nine ailments. 
Again.
Fucking obviously.
You know why?
Because we are sending these people on two, three or four fucking tours.

And now?
With all of that mentioned...
The reference to PTSD and TBI decidedly changed my viewpoint on headkicking.
TBI or traumatic brain injury is essentially brain damage. The ringing in the ears that I can't even imagine having to live with... the personality changes that the vet and families have to live with... Is much, much more serious that the mention of "350,000 report tinnitus, noise or ringing in the ears". 

PTSD obviously strikes a nerve with me:
You can read that story here if you're so inclined.
It's a bit more serious than fucking nightmares.
This post will take up an entire month of my time if I start listing the symptoms and complications and personal feelings involving PTSD.
So, I will simply say that the condition itself tells the sufferer that nothing is wrong. It often leads to depression, which also tells the sufferer that they are just fine.
Guilt and shame play a huge part in PTSD.
Implying that a veteran is seeking help simply to get money from the government gives them one more reason to feel like shit about themselves and delay treatment - leading to serious fucking complications...like, you know, suicide. Homicide. Drug or alcohol abuse. Psychosis for fuck's sake.

I fucking hate the media...but I am hating it more and more every day.
I understand the whole reporting thing, with facts and stats and all that shit.
But shouldn't they maybe think this through a little bit before publishing this shit.
The author is the chief fucking medical writer.
You'd think maybe she'd realize what effect her article could have on veterans and their families.
Someone could have been on the verge of calling for help, read the article and thought, Oh, they'll just think I want money...
To hell with the stats and facts.
Maybe some consideration and, I don't know, respect for the men and women that fought for our country?
Of course maybe I am a wee bit oversensitive to the issue...

Okay.
Rant is over for the day.
I think.

6 comments:

  1. I think the description of how I feel is "furious". If you consider what percentage of an entire lifetime some of these soldiers spent in a war zone, you can only wonder what type of political insanity allows any leader to condone long term combat without the contingencies required to insure a somewhat normal life when the tours are over.

    If it means throwing some welfare mommas off the bus to take care of vets, then so be it. The vets earned their keep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen Krissy! As a servicemember myself, I couldn't believe what I was reading in that article. It's amazing how many people they support the troops, then turn around and complain that they are seeking compensation or help for trauma incurred by the things they have been through with the military.

    And I completely agree with Jess. I don't see how people on welfare have contributed to the country, take the money from them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Articles like this are written by people who have never been in combat, much less in the service. If the debt is getting to huge to take care of the troops coming home, then take the money from the welfare pocket and move it over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You get used to the ringing in the ears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine, but I guess you would. I have a good friend with it - you can always tell when it's happening. He cocks his head to the side and you have to repeat yourself three or four times. He says you get used to it too.

      Delete
  5. I am a disabled vet. No, I did not get hurt in combat. I'm retired Navy. I merely am somewhat broken due to various things happening during those 25 years.

    Thank you VERY much for your comments. I hope to find your bar one day.

    ReplyDelete