04 June 2012

Rest in Peace Paul Gomez

Photo via Facebook
We met by accident.
He was the friend of a mutual friend.
We never met face to face.
We were going to.
Someday.
Someday we were going to drink beers and talk about gnomes and tequila and guns.
Someday.
He read my blogs and wrote a review for my book.
When my life went to Hell this last year, he wrote and checked on me.
Checked on my kids and offered to bring me a keychain from Isreal.
He told me I rocked.
12 times.
I counted.
He answered all my questions and emails at ridiculous hours without fail.
Somehow, this man gave me hope and comfort during the very darkest days of my life.
He's mentioned here.
He probably didn't save my life.
But he saved my sanity more than once.
He was one of those people that make you want to be a better person.
One of the people that give you faith in humanity.
If there were more men like him this world would be a better place.
He's gone.
Died at home, from what I understand.
I didn't know him as well as I would have liked to.
But my heart is aching from his loss.
I will miss him.
So many people will miss him.
The world is a bit darker without him.
But also brighter for having had him in it.
Rest in peace my friend.
You will be remembered fondly.
I am blessed to have known you.

7 comments:

  1. He died in Washington State...but Paul was a wanderer...so yes, he died at home.

    This was beautiful, so was Paul. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I was going to change it, but you said it perfectly.

      Delete
  2. Marjonie GabrielJune 04, 2012 11:01 PM

    That's a wonderful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is touching. Especially the line "He probably didn't save my life. But he saved my sanity more than once." I find myself coming back to that line more than once. Blogging has raised my appreciation of a well turned line.
    Sounds like someone I should have met. Damn shame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great tribute. It is hard to lose the good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully written Krissy as usual God gave you a gift to write and I am glad you have discovered it. May your friend soul reach a greater place and his memories live on forever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like that guy gave you some glorious cooties. I hope you have them forever and share them often. Keep your heart open, you'll get your chances.

    ReplyDelete